Stop Eating Your Way Into Debt. Start Family Dining!
One of the leading causes of personal debt is dining often at restaurants? It’s costly. In addition to the expense, thousands of hidden calories, butter, fat, and sodium add up to poor nutrition for many families who eat out.
Live Well Omaha Kids says the solution is dining as a family at home.
Live Well Omaha Kids encourages families to start eating meals at home by celebrating Family Dining Week October 16 – 22, 2016. “It can be as simple as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with milk. As long as you cover your food groups and cook and eat it together, it helps build family cohesion and cuts costs and calories,” said Carrie Miller, RD, UNL Extension.
City of Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert has proclaimed October 16 through 22 as “Omaha Family Dining Week” and encourages individuals and families to cook and eat at home together more by taking the Family Dining Pledge.
Benefits of Family Dining:
- Eating at home saves money – on average, eating three meals a week in, versus out, saves a family of four approximately $2,000 in one year!
- Eating at home is healthy – Studies show that kids who eat at home with their families are more likely to try new foods and eat more nutritious foods, such as whole grains, low-fat dairy, vegetables, fruit, and lean meat.
- Eating at home helps beyond the table – Family dining also benefits family communication, reduces stress, improves school performance, and supports healthy teen development.
Top 5 Tips for Family Dining:
- No screens allowed at the dinner table
- Make dinnertime a positive atmosphere
- Make it easy and fun
- Offer healthy choices
- Involve the whole family
Live Well Omaha Kids encourages families to cook and eat together more nights per week as a family by taking the Family Dining Pledge. Individuals can take the Live Well Omaha Kids Family Dining Pledge by clicking HERE and will receive support including recipes and expert advice to make this healthy habit easy and fun.
Omaha Family Dining Week Prizes:
All Individuals/Families who take the Omaha Family Dining Pledge are eligible to receive a special promotion at Defy Gravity. During the month of October 2016, show a copy of your Family Dining Pledge confirmation email at check in to receive a “Buy One Get One” on a 60-minute jump ticket. Jump waivers can be filled out prior to your arrival at www.DefyGravityUSA.com. (Offer good for Walk-In Availability Only)
Pledgers during September 1 and October 21, 2016, will be entered to win prizes promoting healthy eating and physical activity.
Omaha Family Dining Week is made possible by funding from CHI Health. The prizes are available through donations from Family Fare Supermarkets, Defy Gravity, Whole Foods Market®, The Neighborhood Offshore, Kwin Kunkle, Walmart, Trader Joe’s, HyVee®, and Baker’s Supermarkets.